Saturday, September 6, 2008

Spinach salad

So I have decided that the companies that make prenatal vitamins are out to get pregnant women. They think "hey they are already miserable, we don't need to put forth energy to make sure these vitamins, they are forced to take, don't add to the misery." It is with this thought in mind, I have taken it upon myself to find foods high in folic acid and all the good stuff so I don't have to take my vitamins as often, because they make me dreadfully sick. (Don't worry, I still take them most days because the dr., who I am sure is being paid off by the pharmaceutical companies, tells me my baby has to have these chemical filled vitamins in order to be healthy and I have to admit the dr. scares me.)

In my search for folic aacid foods I have learned that spinach is pretty much the healthiest thing for you to eat. So the other day I pulled out a recipe for spinach salad that I haven't had in years and I can't get enough of now that I made it again. So for all those pregnant women out there, which there seems to be a million, and all those who have taste buds, here is a fabulous spinach salad recipe. It is high in folic acid and other good stuff that may not be so good for you but taste really yummy.

1 big bag of spinach
1 small purple onion, sliced thinly
1/2 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled
8 oz. mushrooms washed and sliced
1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
1c. dry or drained cottage cheese
DRESSING:
3/4 c. oil
1/3 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. mustard
Combine salad ingredients. Combine dressing ingredients and add to salad just before serving. Dressing will keep separately if refrigerated.

ENJOY!!!!

5 comments:

Raich said...

yum...

Heather Jeppsen said...

Okay. I couldn't take them with Chase at all. He turned out okay. A little with Peyton (she turned out okay too) and now I can take them with this one. I did find one with Peyton that didn't make me sick, I just hate swollowing pills. OCAL FA. The one I'm taking now is called Prenate Elite. I've learned it's better to take them at night so you can sleep through them! I tried a generic brand with this one and about threw up taking it. Still have a full bottle. I guess some things are worth paying more money for. I decided I was going to try and be better at taking vitamins with this one. The made me so sick with Chase, the doctors said it was better not to take them. Good luck.

jamirclark said...

That sounds so good! I'll have to give it a try next time I'm preggo. I can't take prenatals after the 6th week because they come right back up, along with anything else I try putting into my stomach. Don't worry- I have always had healthy babies, and my dr. says that it's fine if i don't take them, just TRY to. (Yah, right!) One big word of advice is take 3 (yes, 3 equal the ammount of other vitamins you need!)flintstone vitamins and if needed, and extra iron supplement. (SlowFE is a GREAT one and is really gentle on the stomach compared to others- found at walmart.) By the way, flintstone vitamins didn't stay down either, of course, but the flavor is better than prenatles coming back up- like you really want to know that! Also, real OJ has high levels of folic acid. Does this even help you out or am i just rambling?

Barlow Family said...

Prenatals make me sick too but I've been taking just the folic acid supplement alone. I eat a pretty healthy diet anyway. I've started taking the prenatals more the last couple of weeks, but for a long time I couldn't. The recipe sounds yummy...I love spinach!

Jen said...

I didn't take vitamins w/ any of them but seth and then just for a bit cuz they made me sick. my doc told me i didn't have to if they made me sick. but then my next doc that i had w/ all 3 girls said if i could hack it i could do the flinstones. he didn't tell me 3 like jami's dr. but it is worth a shot. but i didn't take them w/ the girls either and all of my kids are healthy. but good luck trying to be good!!