Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I need advice

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem I have. I teach the CTR 5 class in primary and we have 10 very determined little souls in the class. We (I team teach with another sister) have had a really hard time keeping them under control. We have finally figured out how to keep them calmed down during class time but now sharing time is a mess. They are always talking, runing around the room, and being disruptive. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on keeping ten 5 year olds under control for sharing time. We already have 3 adults watching them but it isn't working. HELP PLEASE!!!!

2 comments:

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Well, that's the class marina just graduated from...that's hard. Are you up for bribing or some kind of reward chart? Or taking away privledges somehow? If it's that bad, I'd get rid of them ... give them back to parents or ask parents to come sit by their child. The worst thing you can do is tell the parents that their child was good/reverant when they weren't. I always hope teachers are honest with me. I know marina had a hard time sitting still and keeping her mouth quiet in Sunbeams, so it was something we talked about A LOT! If I think of anything great, I'll let you know.

jamirclark said...

I love this age! (yes, that was meant to be sarcastic, but really, I do love them too!) Try making a game out of it. In class you can play "pass the bean bag or chalk or whatever to keep someone's hands busy for a moment, and keep it going through singning time. The object of the game is that whoever has the object is the only person allowed out of their seat or to speak. If you have singing time first, you could tell them that whoever sits most reverently gets to help hold the pictures or with part of the lesson. (this age THRIVES on being "helpers!" I hope this works. Good luck though!