Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Good, Complaining and the Cute

The Good:
I have finally reached adulthood and joined the 21st century. After years of holding out, last night I finally bought a cell phone. I think I was the only person over the age of 10 that didn't have one as evident by all the probably 9 year old at the AT&T store getting her second cell phone. At any rate, I am now the proud owner of a shiny red cell phone! Now I just have to figure out how in the world to use it.

The Complaining:
This week at my dr. appointment I found out that my 28 week gestational diabetes test came back postive by ONE FREAKIN POINT!!!!! Now I get the privilege of doing the three hour fasting glucose test to make sure I really have diabetes.

For those who have never had this test done, I will tell you what it involves. Pretty much you go in fasting, drink the awful orange crud, have your blood sugar spike and have your blood drawn 4 times in 3 hours and try to not cry while it is all happening.

When I was pregnant with Claire I also had to have this test done. Boy was it a joyous experience! For those of you who know me really well know that I don't do well with blood/needles. I passed out in high school just reading a story about donating blood. I can't even get a TB test without passing out. So having this test done is right up there with Christmas and being drawn and quatered.

So this is how the glucose test went when I was pregnant with Claire. I went into the germ infested medical lab fasting. Drank the orange crud. Began to shake and room started to spin. Tried to crochet to pass time while still sitting in the germ infested waiting room. Had my blood drawn 4 times. Passed out. Couldn't find vains by the 3rd draw. Nurse had to dig around for vains. Blood gushed down my arm. Almost passed out again. Was sick for the rest of the day and into the next. And to add a cherry on top, walked in on an asian guy leaving a urine sample because he didn't lock the door or respond when I knocked on the door to see if anyone was in there.

So if you try and call me on my NEW CELL PHONE this week and I don't answer, I probably died from anxiety of having to get my blood drawn again or I died of some incurable disease I caught while in the waiting room of the medical lab.
p.s. The test with Claire came back negative for diabetes.

The Cute:

Bailey and Claire eating dry cereal while watching Saturday cartoons. Claire has her jammies unzipped because she dumped all her cereal down her jammies and was using a spoon to scoop them out and eat them.

6 comments:

AudyCamp said...

oh natalie that's terrible. If it makes you feel better I passed out a few weeks ago too. After 3 tries at the veins finally it happened but thenmy blood just stopped coming out. She took the needle out & I passed out! Then after that I threw up! The worst part was that she was so bugged that i was wasting her time as she had people backed up to get blood. I empathize with you-nothing worse!! I HATE that glucose test-hopefully this time it comes back negative!

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Good: Pass on that number, woman! I just got a call this year too. :)

Complaining: So Sorry! I hate needles too!!

Cute: So funny and Claire looks so much older to me!

The Barlows said...

CONGRATULATIONS on getting a cell phone!!!! I am so proud of you, now we don't have to play phone tag when I call the house and you aren't there! Seriously, your story about the diebetes test made me not want to have children...EVER!! (Taylor and I are planning to try for a baby when I finish with esthetics school) I struggle just as you do with needles, I have never passed out before, but I am positive that I will after something like that, should I ever have to have that test. I am so sorry that you have to go through that twice, you are a strong woman! Any names picked out for the little one yet? Great photo of the girls by the way! Can't wait to see them this January and spend a few months with them and be there for the birth of your new little girl! Mis you guys!

Barlow Family said...

Oh, Natalie I'm so sorry you failed the glucose test! One of the only times I ever passed out in my life was after doing a glucose test when I was 8 y/o. I had to do the 3 hour test with Blake, so I feel your pain. :(

Thumbs up on the cell phone! I waited a while too, but it's great to have in an emergency!

Cute girls! We loved seeing them on Thanksgiving...Bailey has really opened up lately, it's great!

Jen said...

way to go on the cell phone! the diabetes thing pretty much sucks though, sorry you have to do that. But I did enjoy your retelling of the test w/ claire! Good luck on that!
and i love the eating cereal out of her jammies thing! too funny!

Karalee said...

I was terrified of having to do that test, I'm SO sorry! I was getting queezy and faint feeling just reading this. I pass out too!